Our body is interconnected and interdependent on the healthy function of each of our organs, tissues, bones, skin and the blood that flows through it. Acupuncture is well known for encouraging the smooth flow of Qi, blood and energy through our bodies. Generally, it is able to cool what is hot (inflammation), warm things that are cold and move things that are stuck (stagnation).
So how is this able to increase my fertility, you are asking yourself ?
Acupuncture is able to target key areas of the body. For example, by increasing blood flow to the uterus or testes we are able to increase the nutrients that are delivered to the sex organs. This can result in better quality egg and sperm production.
Here are some of the benefits –
- Reduces stress – the work-life equation is always a balancing act and when you have the added stress of trying to conceive, it makes things even more challenging . Regular treatment can help you decompress, get a deeper, more relaxed sleep and handle the stresses of life with ease.
- Regulates hormones and regulates your menstrual cycle
- Assists cleaning out the uterus by encouraging better blood flow. You will find that if you had clotty painful periods, this will change to become a less painful period with fewer clots.
- Improves ovulation especially for women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- By having a better blood flow to the uterus, this enables a thicker, healthier Endometrium. This is needed to encourage implantation of the foetus in your uterus.
- Improves follicular development of a women’s eggs, thereby increasing egg quality.
- Studies have also shown that receiving acupuncture pre- and post-IVF transfer results in higher percentage of live births.
- Improved sperm quality which includes higher sperm counts
- Improved motility which is the ability to swim efficiently to reach and fertilise the egg
- Improved morphology, which is the functional shape of the sperm.
- Reduces stress. When your partner is having difficultly getting pregnant and it is due to the health of your sperm, many men experience low self esteem and high stress levels . This, in turn, reduces the quality of their sperm and compounds the problem.
- Can assist with ejaculation issues.
- Acupuncture results in better overall health, which has a direct result improving sperm quality.
Usually the time frame involved in naturally increasing your fertility is 12 weeks minimum. This is because the eggs or sperm that are being nourished today are the ones that will be released in 3 months time.
Acupuncture is low risk, non invasive and has long term benefits to your well being.
~ Christina Atkins, Acupuncturist