Adrenal Dysfunction (adrenal fatigue or adrenal burnout) is a term we hear a lot about today. While many doctors don’t recognize adrenal dysfunction as a disease, naturopaths and holistic therapists, who regularly see clients presenting with a myriad of otherwise-unexplainable symptoms, recognise adrenal fatigue as a real modern day syndrome.
“The current model of success is to drive ourselves into the ground by working ourselves to
the point of exhaustion and wearing burn-out as a badge of honour –- a view based on a
masculine notion which never did and never will serve us” – Rita Balshaw.
The adrenal glands are like small batteries that sit on top of each kidney. They are in control
of our stress response and our energy levels. When energy is depleted from the adrenal glands,
it causes multiple systems in our body, such as our hormonal, metabolic and immune systems, to diminish.
The most predominant, and the most damaging, cause of adrenal fatigue is prolonged stress.
Women top the charts in all stress-related statistics. They have shown to display more physical symptoms as a result of stress than men. They are also known to have the highest rates of prolonged stress.
Adrenal dysfunction leads to hypervigilance and, this in turn, causes disruption to the cortisol rhythm.
While this disruption affects our energy levels, it can leave us feeling ‘wired and tired and highly strung out. In addition, adrenal dysfunction can create poor sleep patterns / insomnia, which is often a by-product of adrenal dysfunction. Other by-products can also include:
- weight gain,
- lack of self-control / willpower,
- mood swings,
- poor immunity,
- poor mental clarity and memory,
- reduced sex drive and
- increased pain levels.
Root Causes of Adrenal Dysfunction
- Chronic emotional and mental stress
- Food triggers, blood sugar imbalances and nutritional insufficiency
- Gut imbalances
- Toxic overload
- Immune disruption and stealth infections
- Inadequate sleep
- Poor diet (lack of nutrients/nutrient deficiencies)
- Viral infections
- Prolonged dehydration
- Drug and/or alcohol abuse
- Excessive coffee and other stimulant consumption
- Substances and/or prescription medication abuse.
When adrenal exhaustion occurs, the most important phase is restoring the connection to your natural bodily rhythm. Learning to recognise when you’re stressed and turning it around is crucial to getting and staying out of adrenal dysfunction.
If you are suffering from Adrenal Dysfunction, help is available.
Our 6-week naturopathically-supported Beat Adrenal Burnout Program offers you professional support, proven strategies, dietary and lifestyle plans and herbal medicine. In just 6-Weeks you will:
- Learn to identify your triggers
- Drastically improve your energy levels
- Improve the quality of your sleep
- Balance your hormones and mood
- Heal your gut & replenish yourself nutritionally
- Manage stress levels naturally and easily
- Feel like your old self and even better
Call us now to learn more about how we can help.
Written by Stephanie Reidy, BHSc, Naturopath